Wednesday, September 2, 2009

A Real Estate Pillar has fallen

Last month one of Abaco's Real Estate greatest passed away after a battle with cancer. Derek Lee (affectionately called Ricky by the MOW residents) of Abaco Cays Realty was a mentor to me and many other real estate agents in the Bahamas but especially Abaco. This great man practiced business with the highest standard of ethics and helped bring our real estate industry into the 21st century. He was one who had a hand in helping to bring the first MLS into existence in the Bahamas. Our Abaco MLS was introduced even before the national MLS that was launched last year.

He helped bring the Abaco Chapter of the Bahamas Real Estate Associtaion to life and served as our first president and stayed on a second term to assist the incoming president. I had the privilege to serve with him.

Ricky lived on the same cay as I do, Man-O-War Cay. He has served on our local boards and was always willing to lend a hand to help out wherever he could. He has provided a Christmas mailing list for years to the community with all of the locals and second home owners addresses and phone numbers. Before he passed away he asked if I will help Chris Albury, one of his agents, with this project starting this year. Of course I will be honored to help not only for the benefit of the community but also in his memory.

I will miss his calls to ask my advice or opinions on a new listing and I will certainly miss his advice. I will always remember his signature greeting, 'What can I do to brighten your day?' That question alone speaks volumes of the type of man Ricky was and even before he passed away I adopted this question as a way to put a smile on someone's face. Because if I can help brighten someone's day then I have done a good deed.

A memorial service will be held in Man-O-War for him however there has not been a date set yet.

Your Abaco Real Estate Agent
~Mailin Sands